[ExI] Raymond Tallis: You won't find consciousness in the brain

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 06:22:19 UTC 2010

2010/1/11 Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com>:

> It seems likely to me that the writer is simply
> reiterating in some subtle way the desire on the
> part of many for a "first-person" account of
> consciousness. Which, I think, is impossible
> (for the simple reason that as soon as this
> account is recorded extra-cranially, it becomes
> objective and no longer first person).

I think he's also alluding to the "Hard Problem" of consciousness. The
Hard Problem refers to the fact that whatever facts are discovered
about the processes underlying consciousness it is always possible to
say, "but why should that produce consciousness?" It's not a very
helpful question if no possible answer can ever satisfy.

--
Stathis Papaioannou