[ExI] Jaron Lanier's new book, You Are Not a Gadget: A Manifesto

Max More max at maxmore.com
Tue Jan 12 06:34:16 UTC 2010

Emlyn: Your long and angry response to the Lanier interview was
stimulating. Sorry if my posting that distracted you from other tasks
and drew you into a lengthy broadside... Although I disagreed with
some of what you said in an earlier post on a related topic, I found
that I agreed with almost everything you said in your current response.

The one obvious point on which I disagree is this:

>Why do they only read that? Because mostly we just need a good,
>impartial summary and Wikipedia does that wonderfully.

I agree that Wikipedia is generally excellent for non-controversial
topics. But for controversial topics, both my personal experience and
reading about others' experiences says that it does *not* do a
wonderful job of being impartial. Cliques of editors can and do exert
great control over content, making it very difficult for anyone
outside their clique to make changes. They enjoy the appearance of
broad input without the reality. (Different editorial policies and
incentives might change this, but that's the way it's been for years now.)

Apart from that, yes, Lanier seems both anti-transhumanist, pretty
much anti-technological progress, and ultimately deeply conservative
-- and not in any good sense.

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher