[ExI] Meaningless Symbols.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:45:48 UTC 2010

2010/1/12 Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com>:
> I'm at a loss to understand this.  On the face of it, it seems to be a claim that brains do not and cannot exist, but that can't be what you mean.
>
> Everything that exists has been 'computed'  Everything is made of fundamental units that have been combined according to a set of rules.
>
> When we talk about making simulations we are just talking about moving this process to a different kind of fundamental unit, and discovering then applying the relevant set of rules.  Thus we create models of things and processes, re-creating them on a different level of reality.

OTOH, "computability" could be intended in the (Wolframian?) sense
that there are no shortcuts. A given problem is uncomputable if it is
not "reducible", so you have to run the process and see where it
leads. This however tells us nothing about the fact that a
functionally equivalent process can be implemented on a different
platform. For instance, you can run a cellular automaton with pencil
and paper or with a PC.

--
Stefano Vaj