[ExI] Meaningless Symbols.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 13 17:33:10 UTC 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, Gordon Swobe wrote:

> The point is that the man now IS the system. He becomes the room that some detractors insisted understood the symbols even if the man inside did not. He now has everything the room had, yet neither he nor anything inside him understands.

That is your error right there "nor anything inside him". After this huge, gigantic, ridiculously large  transformation you continue to talk about "the man" as if nothing has happened and as if what's inside him is still just one thing. In your thought experiment you don't give us one shred of evidence that there is no understanding inside the man, you simply state it and then demand that we explain that fact. Well it's not a fact, it's just another of your decrees.

 John K Clark