[ExI] The Nature of Technology: What It Is and How It Evolves (Brian Arthur)

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 03:31:01 UTC 2010

2010/1/14 Max More <max at maxmore.com>:
> Many of the economically-inclined people here will be familiar with the
> previous work of economist W. Brian Arthur. I just read a disappointing
> interview with him?
>
> The Evolution of Technology
> by Art Kleiner
> strategy+business, January 4, 2010
> http://www.strategy-business.com/article/00014?pg=all
>
> My review/commentary (written for executives) is here:
> http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreco.aspx?coid=CO1121015233189
> http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreCO.aspx?coid=CO1121015233189
>
> His new book is The Nature of Technology: What It Is and How It Evolves. Has
> anyone read it? Is it drastically better than this interview suggests? (My
> doubt is partly because I know Kleiner is a smart guy and a practiced
> interviewer, so the lack of real content is unlikely to be his fault.)
>
> Max

I quite liked that interview; there's no depth, but then it's only
short. But the fundamental point that the economy is an organizing
system for technology is a good one. It reminds me of Kevin Kelly's
talk "What Technology Wants" (I haven't read his book).

Is there something particular you disagreed with in this interview? Or
it's just lightweight?
--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related