[ExI] Meaningless Symbols.

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 15:17:24 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 1/14/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> You've said that formal programs can't produce
> understanding but physical activity can produce understanding.
> Computers not only run formal programs, they also do physical activity.
> You have a hunch that the sort of physical activity in computers is
> incapable of producing understanding. But a hunch is not good enough in a
> philosophical argument.

I don't consider it a "hunch". I look at programs (and I write them) and I look at the hardware that implements them (and I work on that too) and I see only syntactical form-based operations. And I understand and agree with those who say syntax cannot give semantics, that grammar cannot give vocabulary.

It's last point on which we disagree. You want to believe that performing form-based syntactic operations in software or hardware will magically give rise to human-like understanding.

gotta run. more later

-gts