[ExI] Meaningless Symbols

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 17:05:55 UTC 2010

Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> pronounced:

> On Sat, 1/16/10, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com wrote:
>> You're saying that only digital computers can be simulated by
>> digital computers.?

> Yes.

>> It's trivially obvious that this can't be
>> true.?

> Yes we certainly do simulate many non-digital processes

Hilarious.

OK, when someone answers "Yes" to the question "are you saying that X is true", AND to the observation that X can't be true, it's time to bring the discussion to an end.

Gordon, you've been winding us all up haven't you?

DOH!

Congratulations on being able to keep it going for so long.  This must be a bit like what those academics must have felt when they found they'd been hoodwinked with Andrew Bulhak's Postmodernism generator.

Oh, well, at least it's led some of us to think more deeply about just why philosophical zombies are impossible, and is a good cautionary tale about why you shouldn't mix philosophy and neuroscience.  I suppose we should thank you.

Can we talk about something sensible now?

Ben Zaiboc