[ExI] have you ever seen anything like this?

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 19 01:02:21 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Jeff Davis
> Subject: Re: [ExI] have you ever seen anything like this?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14yxYTOdL38
>

> The only thing I can think of as an explanation for the
> bird's behavior, Spike, is that he/she was engaged in a
> futile attempt to protect his/her nest/young.
>
> Best, Jeff Davis

Ja that is what I concluded as well.  I was thrown off by the fact that the
plumage made me think that this was a male bird, and the males seldom will
go to such lengths do stop their chicks from being devoured.  I looked up
the red headed woodpecker, and I realize the plumage doesn't vary that much
between genders, so this one was likely the mama, which are known to perform
such heroics when duty calls.

I found myself cheering for the bird bigtime.