[ExI] psi in Nature

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 22 20:33:50 UTC 2010

On 1/22/2010 2:11 PM, Samantha Atkins wrote:

>> >  R. Targ and H. E. Puthoff, “Information Transmission under Conditions of Sensory Shielding,” Nature, vol. 252, pp. 602-607 (October 18, 1974)

> IIRC that article came under serious dispute later.

Unlike any other paper ever published in Nature, none of which has ever
been questioned.

The objections were not fatal (indeed, some were specious), but of
course it was widely assumed (on the basis of no investigation) that
they must be, as always in this topic.

Again, though, none of this is to the point of the thread; JKC said he'd
accept the scientific probity of psi if an article corroborating it
appeared in Nature or Science. This one did.

>I have no doubt that reputable scientists have studied psi and that more than a few are convinced of its reality.

That can't possibly be true--John Clark has never heard of them, and
assures us they are really lavatory cleaners and truck drivers typing
something up on their day off.

Damien Broderick