[ExI] heaves a long broken psi

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 22 20:42:39 UTC 2010

On 1/22/2010 2:18 PM, Dave Sill wrote:

>> What does this "supernatural" mean, exactly.

> Things we consider supernatural (ESP, vampires, God)

This misuses the word. If ESP is real, there is no reason to suppose
that it functions by abrogating the laws of physics; far more economical
to suppose that we do not yet fully understand all those laws. In the
19th century, the radioactive heating of the sun was not supernatural,
just unexplained. Believing the sun was a god was a supernatural
explanation, but not a very useful one. Vampires, if they existed
outside fiction, would not be supernatural either, unless their powers
are described as deriving directly from satanic supernatural beings.
"God" is certainly supernatural--outside the realm of nature entirely,
ontologically distinct and superior to nature. And almost certainly
non-existential. At any rate, I've never seen a paper in Nature or
Science proving its existence.

Damien Broderick