[ExI] EPOC EEG headset

Giulio Prisco (2nd email) eschatoon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 08:07:18 UTC 2010

At this moment, dictating to a speech recognition system is faster and
better. But then, at the beginning of the 20th century, horses were
faster and cheaper than cars.

I am confident that in this decade consumer BCI devices will improve
to permit a much faster text input to computer systems. But of course,
their unique potential is for non-text input.

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 1/22/2010 4:19 PM, ablainey at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I Just had a go with it. I had to make a quick program to generate mouse
>> clicks from some of the EPOC outputs. But now I can type with Dasher,
>> Highlight the text, copy, change window, and paste the text all hands
>> free.
>> Dasher is slower than typing, but my spelling would be better with it!
>> I estimated about 50 wpm on my first attempt, but that should increase
>> with use. But it is hands free!
>
> How is this better than dictating to something like Dragon
> NaturallySpeaking? It's marvelous, but so is typing with your elbow. No
> great benefit unless your vocal chords and fingers have been removed or
> disabled. (Is the advantage that it can be done silently? That could be
> important on a plane, say, or in a crowded room. If you could do this
> without being arrested as a Terrorist with a Device.)
>
> Damien Broderick

Giulio Prisco
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Giulio_Prisco
aka Eschatoon Magic