[ExI] Coherent vs. Incoherent Fears of Being Uploaded

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 00:13:33 UTC 2010

On 24 January 2010 00:17, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most people consider consciousness *extremely* important, the single
> most important thing in their lives.

Mmhhh. Whenever this is the case, I suspect it may have something to
do with some some thinly secularised concept of "soul".

> That is why a gun held to
> someone's head, representing the threat of permanent loss of
> consciousness, is so effective a motivator.

I beg to differ. A gun held to one's head, or any other proximate
chance for physical threat, often indicated by pain, simply unleash
one's gene whisper to run away as fast as one can. Exactly for the
same reasons why a fruitfly does not dive into water or a rat likes
sex. Because those who are inclined otherwise would not leave much
offspring.

--
Stefano Vaj