[ExI] dolphins making tools and developing a technology: RE: Psi and gullibility

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Jan 27 17:59:43 UTC 2010

The psi discussion here has produced an insight: if a phenomenon exists but
we haven't the memetic infrastructure to support it, we wouldn't recognize
it even if we saw it.  We would seek alternative explanations, as I do with
psi.

In my misspent youth I recall being taught that humans were the only tool
users, but that the notion was being challenged.  As a fallback, the text
book claimed that humans are definitely the only tool makers.  Now we know
plenty of nonhuman beasts do that too.

Check this way cool dolphin behavior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ50PYMXDCQ

Note that the guy making the mud ring does not himself get fed, but the
others do.  So this requires some rethinking of our evolutionary memeset.