[ExI] Religious idiocy (was: digital nature of brains)

Eric Messick eric at m056832107.syzygy.com
Fri Jan 29 19:26:46 UTC 2010

Gordon writes:
>Yes. I invented DWAP precisely because some people here had suggested
> that the association of symbols by computers somehow solves the
> symbol grounding problem or "gives meaning" to symbols.

You're conflating symbols and words.

Meaning is attached to word symbols when the word symbols are
associated with sense symbols, not with other word symbols.

I made this clear several times already, but you deny it, and stamp
your feet and say "no, no, no, it just can't be!"

At this point, you must be trying very hard to fail to understand
these simple concepts.  You continue to assert things which have been
shown by multiple independent lines of argument to be counter-factual.

You claim that simple rational arguments are "religious idiocy".

Why are you so attached to your beliefs?

Can't you let go of the need to be "special"?

That's what you've been saying all along: "I'm special because I
understand, I am conscious.  No computer could ever do that, so I'm
superior."

Step back and look at what you're saying, and how you're saying it.
Show some real understanding.  Be brave.  Question your own
assumptions.

-eric