[ExI] The digital nature of brains.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 31 17:58:41 UTC 2010

Eric Messick  wrote:

>> you seem to be asserting that no test based on it's behavior could ever convince you to grant it strong status.

> Gordon Swobe wrote:

> Right.

And with that one word you place yourself firmly in the creationists camp because if that is indeed "right" then there is no way, absolutely positively no way Evolution could have produced consciousness, and yet consciousness has been produced at least once and probably many billions of times.

> Such a system might at first fool me into believing it had strong AI status. I would however discover the deception if I obtained knowledge of its inner workings

That nicely illustrates what's so inconsistent in your position. You say that however intelligent a computer is you wouldn't consider it conscious because you, Gordon Swobe, can't figure out how the machine could do that; but you admit that you don't understand how human beings do that either, and yet for reasons never explained you still think they are conscious.

 John K Clark