[ExI] How to ground a symbol

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 31 20:17:25 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 1/31/10, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Indeed.
> There's only one way I can think of to do this, and that's
> through association with sensory data (or more accurately,
> association with a set of abstracted commonalities in a set
> of mind-states produced in conjunction with the reception of
> sensory data, but that's a bit of a mouthful).

I posted this link below once already, to Stathis, but I haven't had much time or inclination to follow up on it. Not sure if it will make sense to anyone who does not already acknowledge the significance of the basic CRA. However it makes for relatively light reading and includes some animations to make the points clear. Let me know what you think.

http://www.mind.ilstu.edu/curriculum/searle_chinese_room/searle_robot_reply.php

-gts