[ExI] How to ground a symbol

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 31 23:45:30 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 1/31/10, Eric Messick <eric at m056832107.syzygy.com> wrote:

> The animations and other text at the site all indicate that
> this is the type of processing going on in Chinese rooms.

This kind of processing goes on in every software/hardware system.

> Come back after you've written a neural network
> simulator and trained it to do something useful.

Philosophers of mind don't care much about how "useful" it may seem. They do care if it has a mind capable of having conscious intentional states: thoughts, beliefs, desires and so on as I've already explained.

I think artificial neural networks show great promise as decision making tools. But 100 billion * 0 = 0.

-gts