[ExI] mind body dualism

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 1 16:59:03 UTC 2010

On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:01 AM, Gordon Swobe wrote:

> It seems obvious to me that one must embrace a form of mind-body dualism
> before accepting the belief, common here on ExI, that humans will someday
> have the technology to upload their personalities into some digital realm
> while leaving their organic bodies behind.

I agree completely, nouns (like the brain) and adjectives (like the mind) are 2 things not one thing, and if I think there are 2 things not one thing that must make me a dualist.

>> That is, the "mind" is not something especially more esoteric nor has a
>> more independent reality than, say, "digestion".
>
> I agree completely.

Me too, digestion is what the gut does and mind is what the brain does.

>  I note also that digital simulations (or emulations) of digestion do not
> actually digest food.

I could be mistaken but I believe you may have mentioned that before, I know I am not mistaken when I say that all analogies have their limits and this is exactly where this one breaks down. The difference between real food and simulated food is very clear, but the difference between real arithmetic and simulated arithmetic is not, in fact the idea that there is a difference is nuts.

  John K Clark