[ExI] mind body dualism

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 08:07:41 UTC 2010

Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> tediously reiterated:

> It seems obvious to me that one must embrace a form of
> mind-body dualism
> before accepting the belief, common here on ExI, that
> humans will someday
> have the technology to upload their personalities into some
> digital realm
> while leaving their organic bodies behind.

,,,

> Most people here will agree that a digitally simulated
> stomach cannot
> digest real food, but many of those same people will argue
> that a
> digitally simulated brain can think real thoughts.
> Mind-body dualism.

<Groan>
Please, not again!
Don't start this stupid argument up again, it's been done to death here and there's nothing to gain from trying to revive it.

The horse is dead, and anyone interested in seeing the whip-marks on it's dessicated body can look in the archives round about February of this year for the many (far too many) posts on 'simulation', 'is the brain a digital computer', the dreaded Chinese Room, etc.

Ben Zaiboc