[ExI] mind body dualism

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jul 5 18:25:35 UTC 2010

On 7/5/2010 12:56 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> Functional equivalence at the sociological level is what (will)
> define(s) human upload on different platforms - as well as continuing
> identity on the same biological substratum in spite of its material
> alterations for that matter - the rest being mere matters of faith
> which will end up being little more than a historical curiosity.

Extrope posters have been going back and forth of this topic for
something like 20 years without anyone being converted to a different
position, as far as I know.

Just (again) for the record: I think the subject header is missing the
point. What's in question is more like mind-body duality, or mind/body
duality.

There is no mind without a brained body to instantiate mental processes,
but that doesn't mean the body has to be identical to the current
organic design derived from evolution. However it does not for a moment
follow that if a machine makes a perfect copy of me (the duality part of
the phrase) I will happily give up my life, knowing that my identical
twin lives on. Hell, no.

"Functional equivalence at the sociological level"--a teleporter "clone"
identifical to the original--might very well become accepted once such
an innovation arrives, but the doctrine of functional equivalence at the
sociological level is what fascist and communist and corporate
consumerist ideologies use to make individual persons fungible and
disposable. Hell, no.

Damien Broderick