[ExI] Belief in maths (was mind body dualism)

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 06:56:20 UTC 2010

Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> claimed that:

> ... people with absolute certainty
> in the no soul/no psi camp

have a

> belief in pure maths

I'm puzzled by this.

If I can assume that by 'pure maths', you mean logic, you seem to be saying that people who have absolute certainty (I'm making another assumption that this means "think that it's overwhelmingly likely") that there is no such thing as either a soul or psi, have come to this conclusion by logical reasoning, rather than, say, lack of evidence to the contrary.

Don't forget that 'no soul' and 'no psi' are the null hypotheses.  Anyone who claims that either of these things exists needs to provide evidence or a  convincing logical argument.  Anyone who doesn't, doesn't.  No logic (or maths) needed.

Or are you the type of person who, when told that there are no hypercubical golden dragons living underground on the far side of Titan, says "Ah, but you can't prove that, can you?!?!"

Ben Zaiboc