[ExI] Could Thorium solve our energy problem?

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 9 03:56:44 UTC 2010

On Jul 8, 2010, at 8:50 PM, Brent Neal wrote:

> The relevant data are: 4.3 Mton world thorium reserves (source: OECD)

I don't believe that figure, if true Thorium would be one of the rarest elements in the Earth's crust when in reality it is nearly twice as common as tin. They must be using some convoluted meaning for of the word "reserves", hell the government has about 3500 tons of pure thorium they acquired during the Manhattan Project that they haven't touched in more than half a century because they think they have no use for it; even though each POUND of thorium has the energy equivalent of 1400 TONS of coal. No I think at current energy use we'd be good for a few million years, and we've already discovered Thorium deposits on the Moon and Mars.

 John K Clark