[ExI] New York Times piece on cryonics, featuring Robin Hanson & Peggy

Michael D michaelfd1976 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 17:00:34 UTC 2010

Advocates of socialized medicine who are aslo cryonicists would do well to
take note of the following comments in this NYT article

"The United States is not necessarily an easy place to take up the banner of
letting go; we’re likely to call it “giving up,” and there is of course no
purer expression of this attitude than the pursuit of cryonics."
"Robin’s expertise extends to the economics of health care, a domain in
which enormous amounts of money are spent on experimental procedures with
only a small chance of extending life."

"His students rarely accept this framing. “We spend most of the semester
talking about how people are obsessed with taking any small chance at living
longer,” Robin says. “And then when we get to cryonics, it’s: Well, who
needs to live longer? What’s the point of living anyway? Why can’t we solve
global hunger?”

As well as a recent Yahoo news article which basically villifies America for
trying too hard to save lives, criticizing procedures that are extremely
expensive and have little chance of success.

Americans are treated, and overtreated, to death
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100628/ap_on_he_me/us_med_overtreated_final_days

- Michael F Dickey