[ExI] Belief in maths (was mind body dualism)

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 11 19:29:07 UTC 2010

2010/7/7 darren shawn greer <dgreer_68 at hotmail.com>

>Lack of evidence is a perfectly fine reason to not think something is so.  If it also has logical inconsistency problems and/or has no explanatory theory that is sufficiently sound then that is more reason to disbelief it.<

It is such an important discussion, for secular humanists and religious humanists are constantly having this argument. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" and "It most certainly is!"

>Indeed most posthumanists could not care less instead of the "evidence of non-existence". The very >concept of the monotheistic God, e.g., is simply not palatable, irrespective of whether it be "true" or not,>and whatever "true" might mean in the first place.

Thanks, for that was my original point, that the argument is polarizing and pointless and zaps useful energies and that collectively as a species we'd be better off abandoning it altogether. My belief is that in a (perhaps remote) future the concept of god as we currently define it -- ie. the Supreme Being-- will cease to even have meaning. However, someone else made the point that it is currently very relevant, as we see alot of violence and political strife because of it. May be, but I no longer argue about my meta-physical beliefs or yours or even think much about those subjects at all. I do however spend alot of time semantically defending my position that theism vs athiesm is a losing proposition on both sides, as long as one is trying to convince the other of the correctness of their own belief. The word god still seems to have much emotive power even among those who don't believe. It's gonna take along time to get everyone to start decapitilizing it, in mind as well as on screen. :)

Darren

Per Ardua Ad Astra
For more info on author Darren Greer visit
http://darrenshawngreer.blogspot.com