[ExI] Belief in maths (was mind body dualism)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jul 12 20:12:04 UTC 2010

On 7/12/2010 2:31 PM, samantha wrote:

> I once led an intelligent, honest fundamentalist friend step by step,
> starting from what she did believe to be true outside fundamentalist
> conclusions, to see clearly that her beliefs were highly inconsistent
> and contradictory and the bible was filled also with such
> contradictions, inconsistencies also and with many horrid things.  She
> saw perfectly clearly that much of what she believed to be true could
> not be true.   Do you know what she said at the end?  It was what
> persuaded me to not do that again.  "Thank you for your patience and
> even, calm, fair discussion with me.  I learned a lot and see that you
> are largely right in what you said at the beginning.  But this is what I
> believe and I like believing it so I am going to keep doing so."

Similar experience here, but more horrifying because I wasn't all that
patient, even or calm (from my book THE LAST MORTAL GENERATION):
=========================
I was once introduced to a New Age guru whom an acquaintance assured me
was charming and spiritually wise. I found him likable, as advertised,
sickly sentimental and utterly gullible. We had a very long and painful
conversation, interspersed by frantic cups of tea. Each statement he
made was weirder and more credulous than the item preceding it; the
world was run on principles of numerology, and you can change traffic
lights to green by wishing hard as you approach them, and aromas cured
everything that ailed your body (except for the grave intestinal illness
that had almost killed him a few months earlier, fixed in hospital at
the last moment by huge doses of cortisone - which he ungratefully and
in retrospect dubbed `toxic chemicals' forced upon him by a crudely
reductionist science), and the iris was connected to da hip-bone, and
UFOs were driven by little gray aliens, and Sai Baba could levitate and
pour endless quantities of dust out of his open hand and vomit up gold
phalluses a foot long, and crystals had magical powers, and the Urantia
Book was the source of all wisdom, such as the passages about how humans
had evolved through the stages of Green Men and Purple Men and Blue Men,
and...

At first I listened to this gibberish with wonderment, as if privileged
in an anthropological way to observe a rare sub-culture of Pre-rational
Humankind. After a while (shame on me!) I gratuitously began to lecture
the poor man, in an increasingly frenetic and cross-disciplinary way, on
alternative explanations for these odd phenomena, the sort that current
science might put forward. I ranted on, delivering myself of cognitive
science explanations for just why he found such unsubstantiated hogwash
so believable. He reeled away hours later in a bruised mental condition,
I gather, and I have never seen him since.

You might wonder, as I do: why did I feel impelled to *set him
straight*? Leave aside whether I have any warrant for thinking that my
book-larnin' gave me a grip on truth superior to his woolly
word-of-mouth subcultural melange; of course I do. But I don't stand on
street corners preaching godlessness to passing Mormons. This urge only
comes over me when I find myself in a room with one or more black
holists whose views affront me in their inanity and intellectual
poverty. Or, more importantly - not just their views, but their ways of
deploying, testing, applying and revising those views.

Despite appearances, I am not especially dogmatic about any particular
sub-sections of my world view. Like many intellectuals struggling to
keep their heads above the torrent of new books and journal articles and
Internet postings, I modify my opinions about quantum theory and
cosmology and the structure of mind and society according to whichever
brilliantly-argued source I read last. But (no credit to me in this
fact, of course) those somewhat flexible views form a kind of
mutually-bracing geodesic structure of some power and authority. So
maybe they generate Dawkins-style memes that insist on broadcasting
themselves and fighting opposing memes to the death.