[ExI] Belief in maths

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 19:34:03 UTC 2010

samantha <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> Some of us just have this deep desire
> or determination
> to integrate everything we possibly can.  We cannot
> tolerate keeping
> somethings outside the attempted integration.  It
> doesn't seem to be a
> matter of intelligence although more of the people with
> this
> characteristic are more intelligent.   I am
> not sure if it is even a
> matter of conscious decision to seek this full
> integration.    But I do
> think the same thing that made me at one time a gung ho
> mystic is what
> led me away from it - this deep desire to understand, to
> know, to make
> sense of it all.

I believe you're on to something here.  I can't claim to be very intelligent, but can relate to this 'deep desire to understand'. I've always had it, and am very familiar with the sheer pain of frustration at not understanding something (not helped by not being very bright!).

Maybe there really are 10 kinds of people: Those who want to understand binary, and those who don't really care.  I'd hazard a guess that the former are more likely to be atheists, and the latter, religious.

Ben Zaiboc