[ExI] New IP thread

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 08:17:05 UTC 2010

I'm not really sure I buy the analogy in the PS - memory protections
and private thoughts are really not the same as "IP" which is
information people wish to make public and shared with others.

I also think it's an supposition that strong IP leads to more
efficient outcomes. Efficient comes in various flavors too, since an
efficient economy might not have creative solutions and innovations -
does the iPod belong in an efficient economy?

Strong IP has become a threat to those who make things happen and
encourages IP trolls which are a pretty sick twisted outcome of the
current system (and would be more prevalent in stronger IP regimes).
Besides which, no new invention really comes out of thin air, and it
can be a minefield for independent creators to be in the business of
IP creation.  Be it copyright claims, patent threats, or just vague
legal threats, creation ends up being a big-company thing only.

I found Free Culture particularly enlightening - lessig has thought
about this aspect fairly well I think.

-ryan