[ExI] NYT: The Technocracy Boom

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 22:41:02 UTC 2010

Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

> In Hugo de Garis book, Cosmists escape to a space colony
> aptly named
> Cosmosia to be left in peace. I suspect someday we will
> have to do so.

What makes you (or Hugo) think they'd be left in peace?

The 'non presbyterians' would see it as a sacred duty to reach them and convert them to the One True Faith, the catholics would be compelled to reach them and save their souls (and those of their embryos), not to mention both these groups having an insatiable desire to regulate everyone's sex lives, and the gubmints would feel a pressing need to reach them and Tax them.  Not to mention the mere fact of an independent space-going colony being a serious military threat to all right-thinking folks.

The only way a space colony could 'escape' would be to keep going, faster than any pursuit, or stay hidden indefinitely. Or, of course, by becoming the very thing they are escaping from, and impose their will on everyone else.

Ben Zaiboc