[ExI] worth reading

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 15:17:09 UTC 2010

Does anyone really believe that some people aren't more successful because they're simply more clever? Sure, there are people who are poor/rich because they had the bad/good luck to be born into it, but just as surely there are people who are poor because they suck at being successful and people who have risen from poverty through hard work and good decision making.

There are many ways to define "clever." Rapacious, sly, machivellian, manipulative. People become rich for a variety of reasons, just as some become poor for a variety of others. Robertson Davies postulated in his Deptford Trilogy that the ability to acquire money was a talent and not a skill, the same as writing books or painting pictures was a talent-based activity. I have a friend who lives on two dollars a day after rent and food, and has developed a harmonic matrix theory in computerized music that is being academically investigated, and his work performed, all over the world. I'd hardly call him poor because he's lazy or unsuccessful. In his opinion, he's rich. He has an art, and a good mind.
You've put me in mind of a poem I hadn't thought about in a long time. You probably know it, but here it is anyway.
Richard Cory
User Rating:9.2 /10
(93 votes)
                                                                                             - vote -                                                                                             1                                                                                             2                                                                                             3                                                                                             4                                                                                             5                                                                                             6                                                                                             7                                                                                             8                                                                                             9                                                                                             10
 Print friendly version E-mail this poem to e friend Send this poem as eCard Add this poem to MyPoemList  Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean-favoured and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good Morning!" and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich, yes, richer than a king,
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine -- we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread,
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet in his head.

Edwin Arlington Robinson