[ExI] Religions and violence

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 24 12:05:52 UTC 2010

Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 03:19:19PM -0700, Ben Zaiboc
> wrote:
>
> > This is further complicated by the existence of
> 'Taqqiya'.  There is
> > only one religion that I know of that explicitly
> encourages its
> > members to tell lies in order to further its ends.
>
> The Druze?
> Mystery cults?
> Scientology?

The Druze are an islamic sect (or at least an offshoot of Islam). As for the others, I'm sure there are many, many cults that encourage their members to lie to outsiders, but we're talking about religions, not cults.

Perhaps I should have said "only one /major/ religion..", as there are bound to be other, minor religions that also advocate lying.

Ben Zaiboc