[ExI] trying to convince a friend that nanotech is not so bad...

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:35:43 UTC 2010

> My question to the list members is this, how do you deal with these
> complaints against the *current state* of nanotechnology? And will
> these problems get worse or better, as time goes by?

I'm not convinced a simple round-up of the facts concerning nanotechnology, and its benefits, both current and projected, would actually convince your friend. I've had this discussion with people about various technologies and a few other subjects as well. He seems pretty emotive regarding the subject, and based on my experience, you’re unlikely to change his mind quickly. It seems to me he has a problem with human intent and competence rather than the technology itself. It might pay to remind him of that; that if human beings really want to f%$# other human beings, there are myriad ways to accomplish that at their disposal already.

As for being the way nature intended, I agree with Tomasz. We are long past those days. Nature apparently intended for homo-erectus to live only eighteen to twenty years in a natural state, with an extreme "old age," which was unlikely in his harsh and dangerous living environment, in the mid-thirties. The old arguments apply; we are saturated with technology already and these advancements are likely to continue whether we agree with them or not. Sure, there is a possibility of misuse and error. There always is. Perhaps remind him of Turing's "machines", and the fact that some of these ideas were originally conceived for the purposes of cracking war code. Yet the benefits of Turing's work have far out-weighed any negative consequences. Computers have revolutionized our planet, and most of it for the better. Nanotechnology has the potential to do for human physical reality what the data-sphere is doing for the mind.

As for the situation getting worse or better--likely worse, until people have gone through the process of being assured the science is sound and the various processes safe. We will eventually concede, when we experience the benefits and they begin to outweigh the fear. You might not want to say this to him, but he should quit worrying. We are long past the point where we could simply say ‘halt!’, and let nature take its course. Technology combined with human curiosity and a seemingly innate need to augment our natural reality is self-replicating. We couldn't stop now even if we wanted to.

Cheers,

Darren

Per Ardua Ad Astra

For more info on author Darren Greer visit

http://darrenshawngreer.blogspot.com

[http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4245645008_1d9f941297.jpg]