[ExI] Islamic culture (current) was Religions and violence

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 31 11:31:12 UTC 2010

In China, well, I have a problem to

> say. They had been very advanced
already before Christ and were doing

> quite well for a thousand years
(gas pipelines, naval rockets, maybe

> even pregnancy tests, wow). They
continued to invent as long as to 17th

> century, gradually slowing down and
I think somewhere after that they

> stagnated.

Peter Watson in "A Terrible Beauty"
suggests it has something to do with the decline of Confucianism as the central
organizing principle of their society.

I was quite surprised when I have
learned about advanced social

> organisms of North American Indians
and Amazonians. They had cities too,

> but abandoned them

The best book I have read on this
subject is Ronald White's "Stolen Continents." He estimates that the
total population of the pre-Columbian Americas, both North and South, was 54
million. By the end of the 16th century this was reduced by 80 percent due to
disease and colonial wars.

> I don't know what are Dr Clark's
claims, but I would be far from

> suggesting that Western Europe was
the first place that experienced the

> phenomenons of increased
literacy...

European recorded history as a whole
makes no mention of the super-nova of 1054, which was visible in the night sky
for over two years. Practically every other northern hemisphere culture recorded the event,
including the North American indigenous population and Arab culture
(albeit briefly.) Current theories suggest that the church suppressed the
information, for whatever reason. In his novel "Space" James Michener
says that it is not that the times are dark, but that people aren't looking at
the light.
> But I am no expert at all (and I have lots to learn)

I'm no expert on Islamic culture either
(especially apparent after reading some of the posts by people who are far more
versed in the subject than I will likely ever be.) But I do know that it is a
mistake to confuse Arabic culture with Islamic culture too much. As has been
frequently mentioned here, Arabic culture was in full flower for a thousand
years before Islam arrived on the scene. It is possible that Islam is the main
reason for the decline of Arab culture and learning, just as the cult of
Christianity contributed to the decline of the Roman Empire. As far as I'm
concerned, both Islam and Christianity are personality cults gone viral, and need
to suppress learning and knowledge, or at least try, in order to enforce the
dogma that theirs is the one true God and their prophets absolutely correct in
every particular.

Religions that don’t have this feature,
(and that have a blood-bond, or are welded together in their beliefs by some
ethnic, regional or historic commonality that discourages or is ambivalent to conversion) are less
violent and fervent.

The only bright side to Islamic and
Christian fundamentalism that I can see is that growing extremism seems to
indicate cultural decline. Another is that no ayatollah has issued a fatwa
against Jeff Dunham and his hilarious puppet Ahkmed, the dead terrorist,

"Silence! I kill you!"

Cheers,

Darren