[ExI] NYT: Happiness May Come With Age, Study Says

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 2 21:58:05 UTC 2010

On 6/2/2010 4:15 PM, The Avantguardian wrote:

> I can say quite assuredly that whatever natural happiness age brings the elderly, nursing homes rob them of it. My first night there I could not sleep on account of the many moans, groans, and occasionally the plea to God for death. Octagenarians were calling for their mommies and daddies. Then there were the loud screeching protests whenever a nurse or orderly had to change someone's diaper, or give someone a shot. I heard many disturbing things there and the only laughter I heard would be when my friends came to visit me and it would come from us.
>
> The food was pretty bad consisting almost entirely of carbs with only the occasional protein except for the milk which I was thankful was plentiful. The medical care was likewise horrible.

Barbara and I have been idly musing for some years on the possibility of
opening an optimal nursing home for elderly transhumanists (including
us--which is one of our main motivators--not that many years or, one
might hope, decades away!), but obviously it would need a major capital
infusion and even then most of those who might consider using its
facilities are scattered around the USA and the rest of the planet and
probably unwilling to move.

Damien Broderick