[ExI] Why religion at all?.

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sat Jun 5 21:03:08 UTC 2010

Howdy,

As a human-trying-to-think-logically, I find all this antireligious stance
amusing.

I think religion actually helped humans to survive in a harsh environment,
nowadays called nature. It gave a container into which a knowledge could
be gradually accumulated and preserved.

Also, I believe it was religion that helped develop science and gave birth
to it. Think, maths, who did it first? Right, we don't know. Probably some
animal did it first. But, the first recorded math usage comes from what
are thought to be ancient sanctuaries, if I am right...

So, credits due should be payed to whoever they are owed.

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Damien Broderick wrote:

> On 6/5/2010 12:31 PM, John Clark wrote:
>
> > most people have this usually advantageous tendency to believe into
> > adulthood whatever they were taught as children. And so screwy religious
> > ideas that start small propagate.
>
> Yes, but the odd thing about screwy religious ideas is how vehemently and
> murderously they can be held. You can deny the Tooth Fairy without too many
> people losing control on the spot and shooting you dead, but do a simple
> sketch of a non-Presbyterian prophet and many of his followers will go bugfuck
> crazy and hack you to death while setting random cars on fire. Of course this
> is an outlet for backed-up hormones and political grievances, but somehow

All of this belongs as much to religion as to anything else. Some
kind of people simply cannot bear it when someone opposes their point of
view.

Also, perhaps it is worth asking if the true believers are doing all those
bad things, or just some idiots and liars (like, politicians, mind-thiefs
etc)? If I do something that is against my belief, can I still be regarded
as a believer? It seems to me, there is not so many believers in our not
so brave world (or maybe, they just say but in fact they believe in
something different). And those, who are - I think they are really good
folk, worth talking too. And, surprise, surprise, tolerating other points
of view. Perhaps the true believer is really a doubter inside, at least
partially.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola