[ExI] bonobos vs. chimps

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jun 5 22:05:54 UTC 2010

On 6/5/2010 4:28 PM, spike wrote:

> I think
> what we see in this case is speciation as a result of a slight difference in
> behavior: dominant males-win-chimps = bigger individuals, stronger, a
> meaner, often murderously violent society, as opposed to
> ladies-choice-bonobos = smaller individuals, peaceful, a share the food and
> fuck everything in sight society.

In a novel I just read, it was suggested that because bonobos fuck
everything in sight and are fucked by everything in sight no male can be
sure of paternity, so they are far less rewarded (genetically) by
killing a new mate's previous kids, which chimps like doing. This
differential then cascades through into other phenotypic and behavior
differences. Analogies come to mind.

Damien Broderick