[ExI] Fwd: The avatar revolution: Here come the new humans

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 04:05:56 UTC 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bob Keyes <keyesbob at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: The avatar revolution: Here come the new humans
To: diybio at googlegroups.com

What hasn't been revealed is the destiny of humanity. We are animals,
but we are starting to become something else. We are now, or very
shortly will, create life patterned by our own will. We will modify
ourselves, as individuals and in our 'offspring', and this will enable
us to do further modification, i.e. it will be recursive. In a
millenium, humans will little resemble what we are now.

Some will find this horrible, sinful, something which must be stopped.
I can understand the discomfort. But it cannot be stopped. Humans will
do what we can. We adapt and compete and change our environment and we
change ourselves. We will just hone this trait to perfection.

Look around us as the richest and most highly educated in the modern
world fail to reproduce at the rate of 'replacement value'. Yet others
reproduce without any chosen restraint, it is only malthusian pressure
that keeps their numbers low. This will split the human race, as the
few and the rich become less mortal.

Nothing is unnatural. It is our nature to want to defeat death. Some
of us will detach from our mortal shells. Others of us will draw the
line at what we find acceptable in life extension and transformation.
Will we have wars, mutants or superhumans against the mere-humans?
Probably.

Am I mad to say what I have said above? Certainly some people fear it,
and fear that those in DIYbio will be the first to do so, beyond and
in spite of laws meant to restrain our trans-human impulses. There are
probably people in the DIYbio community who feel that the essence of
humanity is different than I have described, and may think of such
exposition as dangerous. So be it. To regulate DIYbio will not change
the fundemental desires present in so many humans: the desire to be
trans-human.