[ExI] 'capitalism' genes was breeding cats

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jun 8 15:47:21 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Keith Henson
> Subject: Re: [ExI] 'capitalism' genes was breeding cats
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In case you didn't notice, the 1800s century is the same time that
> > Keith believes that the UK population evolved 'capitalism' genes.
> > Obviously wrong. It was the cats organising the economic system for
> > their own benefit...

Haaaaahahahahaaaa!  {8^D  See why I still hang out on ExI?  People here come
up with ideas like that one.  {8-]

Keith's notion of a capitalism gene is intriguing.  I buy it.  The
implications are far ranging too.  Capitalism is a political notion, so it
seems reasonable to me that political leanings are to some extent genetic.
No doubt political notions are influenced greatly by environment, but I have
long suspected there is a genetic component to our political leanings.  If
so, most political debate becomes racism.

> ...Tame foxes differ in gene expression in only about 40 genes.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox
>
> It took about 20 generations of foxes to breed these hyper tame
foxes...Keith

Cool!  This reinforces my notion that an organized effort to breed behaviors
into cats could be done in a reasonable time span.  Twenty generations of
cats would fit in a single human lifespan.  It is difficult to explain *why*
exactly one would *want* a cat who drapes its inert self over one's
shoulders, but no more mysterious is this than why it is that so many
otherwise sane people feed the useless beasts daily.