[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter groups yearning for cyber-heaven

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 16 22:59:55 UTC 2010

On 6/16/2010 5:12 PM, natasha at natasha.cc wrote:

>> But of course if I get booted out of the club on these grounds, I won't
>> be especially upset, or pine. It's just a label...

> This isn't a club.

Drat, did I say "club"? I meant "voted off the island." Wait, there
isn't an island?

Actually, to all intents and purposes transhumanism *is* a club, or
rather a sort of loose federation of clubs where like-minded clumps of
neophilic, technophilic people (called "oddballs" by most of the
population) hang out together. It's not a political party or movement or
tendency or fraction, it isn't yet a formal philosophy or set of design
principles, it certainly isn't what the lazy journos call it, a *cult*.
What it is, I suppose, is what Sartre called existentialism before he
went Maoist--it's a humanism.

Damien Broderick