[ExI] transhumanist as a philosophy

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jun 17 00:28:24 UTC 2010

On 6/16/2010 6:23 PM, natasha at natasha.cc wrote:

> For me, it is a philosophy with princples and is definitely a movement.

Leaving aside the movement aspect for a moment:

a perspective, a set of interpretative principles and principles of
action, tends be regarded as a *formal philosophy* only after it has
been canonized in one or more major texts.

What are these in the case of Transhumanism? FM-2030's books, for
example, do not seem to be embraced, studied, taught, disputed by many
people. THE SINGULARITY IS NEAR is not a philosophy text.

It might be argued that looking for *books* in the 21st century is
entirely missing the point--that >H or H+ is articulated sufficiently in
the discussions and colloquia associated with, say, the Extropy
Institute of old and its listserv, and the various groups naming
themselves as such like the World Transhumanist Association or
Humanityplus...

But I'm not sure that's sufficient. I seem to recall various efforts to
pull together a text titled TRANSHUMANISM, and that somesuch volumes
already exist in Italian (and are fought over vehemently and even
poisonously there), but I don't know of any canonical text in English.
Is there one (or more)?  Amazon lists *Designer Evolution: A
Transhumanist Manifesto* (2005, Prometheus) by Simon Young, which has as
Part 3 "Transhumanism as a Totalized Philosophical System." Anyone here
read it? And there's dear old *Great Mambo Chicken*, which is very much
less than a philosophy although it was a hell of a ride way back in the day.

Damien Broderick