[ExI] Dark doubts

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 18 01:30:34 UTC 2010

On 6/17/2010 8:09 PM, Gregory Jones wrote:

> there is just noooo daaaaam way the MONDs are correct, nope, not no way,
> not no how.  Do put it right out of your mind please forthwith, for god
> could never be so cruel as to pull something like that on us, no.

You're right, I forgot to factor god in.

But wait--god *is* cruel, just look around. Back to the drawing board...

How about something wild like this:

<http://www.fqxi.org/community/articles/display/135

<Laura Mersini-Houghton [is] a physicist at the University of North
Carolina,
Chapel Hill... In her model, baby universes retain a
vague, gravitational influence on each other even after they lose
information about the multiverse. In 2006, she predicted that this
ghostly cross-talk would result in a peculiar ‘pull’ on galaxy
clusters in one part of the sky. Last year, such an effect, dubbed
"dark flow," was surprisingly observed by NASA. There is no consensus
as to what causes the flow, but Mersini-Houghton is excited. "I never
thought we’d see anything like this, at least not in my life time."

Mersini-Houghton had also predicted that a neighboring universe could
create a giant void in space by pushing against us, repelling gravity
and matter. A few months later, the discovery of such a void using
radio telescopes at the Very Long Baseline Array in New Mexico was
reported. But this result was later called into question in 2009, when
astrophysicists at the University of Michigan claimed that the
evidence for the void was a statistical blip.>

Looks like god might be messin wit us...