[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter groups yearning forcyber-heaven

bret at bonfireproductions.com bret at bonfireproductions.com
Sat Jun 19 15:04:55 UTC 2010

Quoting Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com>:
> It is a quick bumper-sticker-like compatibility check: if one
> considers uploading as feasible and desirable, (s)he is probably
> positively attuned to transhumanism, otherwise (s)he is probably not.

Hello all, it was such a pleasure seeing some of you last weekend at
the H+ Summit - certainly if you are ever in my backyard again, please
look me up.

On this point, now that I have read the thread. I think it is
important to note on what Giulio has said here as something else.

By saying uploading is feasible, you are essentially agreeing to
Dualism in the mind-body problem. You may as well have a bumpersticker
that says so, since uploading in the you-go-not-a-copy sense is only
going to be possible if Dualism is true - correct?

There is a website called commonsensemedia.org that helps parents make
decisions on what their kids watch. My kids have not seen the movie
"9" yet, in fact I almost wrote a review with the title "WARNING:
CONTAINS DUALISM". So there are indeed Transhumanists that think the
movement of self is rife with as yet unaddressable issues.

And as far as not adhering to a specific technology, (where my
bumper-sticker would just say "I agree with Max") I do implore people
to also not attach Transhumanism to any specific spiritual element.

Such an attachment would effectively close the door on the rest of the
undecided population that has maybe only heard of Transhumanism
peripherally. Although our ideas have not turned them (yet), any
spiritual element would be a threat and send them running. One of
Transhumanisms strengths is that it is not religious.

~]3