[ExI] transhumanist as a philosophy

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jun 20 22:25:04 UTC 2010

On 6/20/2010 4:57 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> Speaking of books of transhumanists or on transhumanism or strictly
> related topics, we have this (a little out of date) list (the yellow
> square denote neoluddite or otherwise violently hostile books):

A remarkable list, but fairly useless in the context of discussing >H
*as a formal philosophy*.

E.g., McKibben acknowledges transhumanist thinkers, but as you note he's
one of the violently hostile commentators. Egan's novels display some
versions of *post*humans (as do those of Sterling, Gibson, Stross,
Kelly, Di Philippo, Banks, me and other fiction scribblers), but don't
really constitute a philosophic tradition. I see only a couple of titles
in there that might almost be the equivalent of David Kelley's, Tara
Smith's and Chris Sciabara's books on Rand's Objectivism (although the
non-English ones on >H might be packed with powerful goodness).

Damien Broderick