[ExI] Otherkin and Plural Systems- How do they fit in your views?

Sabrina Ballard sabrina.ballard at allromanceebooks.com
Mon Jun 21 00:02:25 UTC 2010

     I recently ran across a phenominon that is self-reported as
"otherkin" and also "plural systems". Otherkin here means something
along the line as one subjectively feels as if they are another
species or race, much in the same way that someone who is
transgendered feels they were born into a body of the wrong sex. I was
interested on your take of this phenomenon, if you felt it had a
bearing on the way that our world view has changes, and perhaps we are
moving further from 'nature'? Or perhaps we are moving farther from
ledgends which help people cope?

The second is called "plural systems". These are essentially people
who have more than one conciousness in the same body. How does this
effect our view of what concsiousness is and is not? Does it even have
an effect, in the sense that the medical community, especially in the
USA and UK feel it is a disease? There feeling that it is a disease
runs counter to what many of these plural systems feel. That is, that
they are healthy and funtional members of society.

I find much of these plural systems to be of interest when examining
what consciousness and personhood are. Some express that multiple
people can be "front" or controlling what the body does, much like one
would multitask. Others report being a "gateway system", that when
they are not "front" they inhabit a world much like our Earth, which
has its laws of physics, many of them matching our own. That is to
say, there is no "magic", things do not simply "happen". The no magic
obviously excluding the body switching.

What are your views, and how does researh into this area effect
transhumanism? (If at all)

~Sabrina Ballard