[ExI] transhumanism in fiction

Ross Evans ross.evans11 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 01:16:20 UTC 2010

We eulogise frailty for the same reasons we eulogise mortality; it acts as a
coping mechanism that ameliorates our deepest fears. The reality that the
vessel in which we experience the world is little more than water and
congealed goo, is not one many people want to dwell on. If transhuman
characters do alienate readers, I would suggest it is only because they
further assert this frailty, not because they demonstrate what man could be
if he transcended these frailties.