[ExI] transhumanism in fiction

Joseph Bloch seculartranshumanist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 02:28:36 UTC 2010

Max More quoted Greg Egan as saying:

> Many of your stories involve transhuman characters built with incredible, almost magic-like technology. Do you believe this is our future?
>
> I hate the word "transhuman"; it suggests beings who have become something alien and incomprehensible to us.

Personally, I see that as entirely the *point* of being a
Transhumanist. I want to overcome the limits of my human form. I want
to go beyond humanity both mentally and physically. I want to become
post-human.

I think that if and when true posthumans do arrive they *will* be
alien and incomprehensible, at least on some level, to baseline
humans. Just as the motives and actions of adults are largely
incomprehensible to 6-year-olds today.

Joseph