[ExI] 41% of people are insane

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 21:28:51 UTC 2010

> I suspect it may be different with people who have had a religious
> upbringing. They may know it's all crap but be uncomfortable admitting
> it, even to themselves. One of the items in Christian indoctrination
> is that one must have faith, implying that there is a strong tendency
> to doubt that needs to be stamped out. So the faithful are not so much
> convinced that their religion is true as that it is bad to doubt that
> it is true. If they are taught to feel guilty about the mere act of
> doubting, they are more likely to lie in surveys. It would be easier
> to throw off this mindset in secular countries but the US is not
> really a secular country.

One of the most amazing things about the human brain is how people are
able to have two completely contradictory beliefs without having to
reconcile them in a unified internal universal view.  There just isnt
enough internal integrative power to reconcile every belief and scrap
of knowledge in a universally cohesive world view.  It is even
probable that this evolved as it seems like it would have a specific
evolutionary advantage (along with the ability to forget, change your
beliefs, etc, etc).

I personally believe many people believe that (a) jesus will return
and (b) evolutionary science and (c) many other facts of modern
science.  All without having paradox absorbing crumble zones :-)