[ExI] Purpose of list was a few bits per second

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 01:15:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
> Keith's view certainly does not reflect my own. I see some good reasons for
> going beyond talking to a few other people and attempting to get
> transhumanist ideas more widely and fully appreciated in the mainstream. In
> fact, I think we are seeing that happening. Among other reasons, more
> mainstream acceptance of (or at least understanding of) transhumanist idea
> will influence public policy and perhaps the direction of technological
> advance.
>
> So, in my view, you are *not* in the wrong place, in relation to this issue.

How much of transhumanism is inevitably manifested and how much is
caretakers' willpower?

Are there parallels that could be examined in recent technological
history for examples of mainstreaming H+?

Did anyone have to force TV into the mainstream?  Sure there were
early adopters, but once the critical mass was achieved the spread of
television was practically unstoppable.  TV no good?  VHS?  Cell
Phones?  Personal Computers?

How much does transhumanism have to be watered down in order to be
palatable to the masses?  Would you be excited to craft a bland
version geared towards the lowest common denominator currently
represented in the mainstream?

Perhaps Keith's suggestion maintains transhumanism's unique flavors
for those who come looking for what it offers, rather than turning it
into a mindless mush for the sake of greater consumption?