[ExI] few bits per second.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 29 17:32:33 UTC 2010

On 6/29/2010 6:49 AM, Stefano Vaj wrote:

>> >  The thinking, if you can call it that, is that Quantum Mechanics is mysterious and consciousness is mysterious so the two must be related. I don't believe it's anything more profound than that.

> Exactly my view.

I have no strong feelings about possible QT explanations for
consciousness, but this standard retort is way too glib. The books and
papers I've read that try to explain aspects of the mind by reference to
QT go a long way past "wow, man, mysterious!" Their authors find
themselves stymied when they are limited to macroscale physics, and
sometimes detect possible paths forward when quantum behavior at the
micro scale is taken into account, or scaled up. This is very different
from proposing, e.g., that "planets move round the sun because angels
push them," because we have no independent good reason to think there
*are* angels--but QM's behavior is well established.

And those arxiv papers Serafino keeps citing show that serious
non-mysterioso scientists are suggesting links between DNA stability and
QT, photosynthesis and QT, etc etc.

Damien Broderick