[ExI] psi yet again.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 30 02:33:26 UTC 2010

On 6/29/2010 9:05 PM, Mike Dougherty wrote:

> Do you consider remote viewing to be in the same class of phenomenon
> as precognition?

Quite a few remote viewing (and Ganzfeld) implementations *are*
deliberately precognitive, to avoid, as much as possible, suspicion of
cheating.

> Are there no well-controlled studies of precog

There are plenty of such studies. What makes you suppose otherwise?
That's precisely what presentiment (pre-stimulus response) studies, and
controlled, blinded attempts of say who is about to call on the phone or
text, are, among others kinds.

> because they're more difficult to construct than remote viewing
> experiments?

RV is a specific protocol of psi implementation, that's all. (Of course
the net is filled with liars or psychotics claiming to be able to do and
teach it, and boasting of their lofty roles in STAR GATE, which
generally they had nothing or very little to do with. David Morehouse is
probably the most egregious example.##)

> I think game shows would be an interesting body of data to study for
> psi.  I have previously mentioned Jeopardy answers leaping to mind
> right before the answer is spoken (answers I could not even imagine
> encountering previously).  I also imagine the format of Match Game
> would yield interesting questions (if not answers)  Why, for example,
> was Richard Dawson chosen for the big-money match so frequently that
> they had to implement a semi-random celebrity chooser in later years?

I don't know anything at all about such games, sorry.

Damien Broderick

##"Dr" David Morehouse, a Mormon major not quite honorably discharged
from the army for a series of offences that don't strike me as
especially offensive--"sodomy" was one--after he had a nervous breakdown
where he spoke to angels, published a book titled Psychic Warrior (1997)
that Major Ed Dames (another soldier who overstates his official RV
role) claims is largely based on his life, rather than Morehouse's....

While Jim Schnabel's book Remote Viewers was cautious and very fleeting
on the topic of Morehouse's alleged exploits, Schnabel gave free vent to
his distaste in an article posted widely on the Internet but now rather
hard to find:

"To me, his story is not just about the depths to which one human can
sink. (Morehouse is, in the end, perhaps only a sleazier, crazier
version of the old Sgt. Bilko character.) Somehow his story also
reflects the current state of things in America, a country that seems to
be going insane... What else to call a people who feed hungrily, via The
X-Files and other forms of that hugely popular genre, on paranoid
conspiracy fantasies otherwise found only on psychiatric wards?"

Morehouse's own account of his life shows an honorable man tragically
misused by evil manipulators, but saved from suicidal depression by
eternal love for his angelic wife plus some actual kitschy angels and
his patriotism and decency. It's intriguing to compare this with
Schnabel's relentless savaging in his article, which looks rather like a
chapter excluded mysteriously from his book: Morehouse the scummy
womanizer, the guy with "a small home improvement business, House Tech,
that he ran on the side." Can this be the same Morehouse who rails
against the shocking state of morale and morals in the spook business
(the other sort of spooks)? "And some of their private lives! A few
staff members hardly bothered to conceal extramarital affairs... It was
a real Peyton Place, and I hated it... Let me top my description off
with the colonel who sold Afghani rugs out of the trunk of his car in
the parking lot" (Morehouse, 157).

The major's alleged sexual improprieties, even his goldbricking while on
the payroll of the Defense Intelligence Agency, are finally irrelevant.
We all have our little quirks. It is notable, though, that none of this
material was touched in his own book, not even to rebut it. The jacket
mentions his PhD (in Education Administration). "My doctorate is from
LeSalle University in Mandeville, LA.," he told me by email. He meant La
Salle. In a rather odd disclaimer, he added: "I did not simply buy my
degree--believe it or not, I had to work for it" (personal email
communication). It would be easiest, obviously, to discount Morehouse as
a former, or feigned, psychotic with schmaltzy style and delusions of
grandeur. But we are meant to accept that this kind of operative
provided the psychic material that the CIA and DIA and other dark powers
once found impressive. Something about all this stinks to me of a
disinformation package, rich in odors attractive to New Age nostrils and
old X-Files fans but just as certain to wrinkle the snooty noses of
skeptics.

[from OUTSIDE THE GATES OF SCIENCE]