[ExI] [Open Manufacturing] Leaf veins inspire a new model for distribution networks

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 1 22:52:55 UTC 2010

Jesus #!*$%@ Christ, does nobody ever pay any attention to the history of science, or actually read on applied bio-pysics?

For the fist group, they should look into xylem and floem deeper, they're akin to veins and arteries. There are no circular loops involved it's a high pressure to low pressure network. There are no roundy rounds. If you know anything about the limits of diffusion at that scale you'll understand why there can be no loops in a living network.

I suggest two things to this group of 'discoverers'....

Look up the 4/5 Scaling Law and read every damn work printed by Christopher McGowen. The sooner the better.

To Constructal Theory, rewording the 2nd Law doesn't make it new.

---- Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> > ScienceDaily (Feb. 27, 2010) — A straight line may be the shortest path from
> > A to B, but it's not always the most reliable or efficient way to go. In
> > fact, depending on what's traveling where, the best route may run in
> > circles, according to a new model that bucks decades of theorizing on the
> > subject. A team of biophysicists at Rockefeller University developed a
> > mathematical model showing that complex sets of interconnecting loops --
> > like the netted veins that transport water in a leaf -- provide the best
> > distribution network for supplying fluctuating loads to varying parts of the
> > system. It also shows that such a network can best handle damage.
> >  The findings could change the way engineers think about designing networks
> > to handle a variety of challenges like the distribution of water or
> > electricity in a city.
>
> You may also be interested in "constructal theory":
> http://constructal.org/
>
> "According to the Constructal law, every system is destined to remain
> imperfect, i.e. with flow resistances. The natural constructal
> tendency then is to distribute the imperfections of the system, and
> this distribution of imperfection generates the shape and structure of
> the system. The constructal way of distributing the imperfections is
> to put the more resistive regime at the smallest scale of the system."
>
> The constructal law is stated as: "For a finite-size (flow) system to
> persist in time (to live), its configuration must evolve such that it
> provides easier and easier access to its currents." (Bejan, 1996)
>
> - Bryan
> http://heybryan.org/
> 1 512 203 0507

 -- -- -- --